Unlike the iTunes Store content (music/video), the App Store purchases can be downloaded an unlimited number of times. This guide will show you how to redownload purchased apps from the App Store on your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or Mac/PC. This will work for both free and paid apps alike.
Please note that this tutorial is only valid for App Store purchases. iTunes Store content can be downloaded only once. However, if an iTunes Store download gets interrupted you can refer to our guide to resume interrupted iTunes Store downloads.
In case the application has been taken down from the App Store(like the VLC application) then you cannot redownload them. You can report it to Apple and maybe even get a refund from App Store.
Redownload App Store Purchases on your Computer:
- Launch iTunes
- Make sure you are signed in with the same account used for the original purchase.
- Locate the app in the App Store and click the BUY APP button.
- You will see a dialog similar to the one below. Click the Buy button.
- The next dialog will tell you that this item is already purchased and you can redownload it for free. Click on OK to download the application.
Redownload the application to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- After launching App Store, once again make sure that you are signed in with the same account used for original purchase.
- Locate the app in the App Store and tap Buy App.
- You will see a popup dialog telling you that the item has been purchased before. Press OK to download it again for free.
Note: In case you don’t use sign in using the correct ID you might end up paying twice for the App if the account has a credit card or other payment method on file.