How many times you have ended up downloading a .dmg file extension on your Windows PC and wondering what is this extension and how you can open it.
.dmg Files are associated with Mac OS. If you have never used Mac, .dmg is a virtual disk image, and can be opened in Mac os. In short it’s image disk within image disk and Mac uses it to ensure better security as executable files like .exe can easily be targeted by hackers to inject malicious codes.
Though, in Mac OS, you will not face any issue with opening .dmg file unless its corrupted but in Windows, there is no default handler for opening .dmg files. In this guide we will learn how you can open and burn .dmg files in Windows.
Basically, you needs to Burn a .dmg file in Windows when you want to Install Mac OS X in your Traditional Windows PC. You can Burn a .dmg Files in Windows whether it is Windows 7 , Windows Vista or any other Version of Windows.
Simply steps to Burn .dmg File in Windows.
- You need to download Transmac software from CNET Downloads. Here is the download link for Transmac<Link>
- Install it on your Windows PC
- Though it’s a paid software, but you can always use fully functional 15 days trial.<Buy Now>
- When you are installing this Software don’t forget to put a tick mark on ‘Associate Transmac with .dmg Files’. This option will integrate Transmac with .dmg Files, which let you burn the File.
- Simply Open Transmac from Start Menu or from Desktop Shortcut and now you are ready to burn a .dmg file.
- Click on Tools Option as seen in the picture and then click on ‘Burn CD/DVD Image’ from this Menu.
- You have to select your DVD Writer Path, Writing Speed and Browse for the .dmg file, you want to Burn.
- After Selecting the above mentioned options, simply click on ‘OK’ Button.
- Now this will open your .dmg Image File in Transmac Software. Click on Burn option and you are Done.
- Now you can easily Install Mac OS X and other Apple Software Easily on your Windows Machine. Apart from that you are now able to Burn .dmg files in Windows.
Note- Transmac is a paid software, so for full access you have to buy it. I have bought it around $50 and still using it, without any problem. But you can use it’s Trial for 15 Days.You can also use this Trick to Burn .dmg files in Ubuntu and Linux. Another way is to use MagicISO software and convert .dmg file into .iso version and then mount it using any virtual CD/DVD software.
Here is a video tutorial, which will help you to understand the process better. Though, I suggest to mute your speakers as song might annoy your serious work mode:
I hope this will solve your query but in case if you are stuck anywhere, feel free to ask questions via comments.
This is a guest post by Aakash. If you would like to write for CallingAllGeeks, check our guest posting guidelines.