Now you can Jailbreak iOS 4.1 on your iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G running iOS 4.1 or 4.0 using Redsn0w on Mac. The SHAtter exploit by pod2g is not included and RedSn0w uses the same old method to Jailbreak iOS 4.1. If you want Ultrasn0w unlock too, you should wait for now.
We earlier discussed the pros and cons of upgrading iPhone firmware to iOS 4.1. If you read our guide you will learn that those without a factory unlocked iPhone or relying on Ultrasn0w unlock should wait for now else they will lose the unlock, maybe forever. This is because when you upgrade iPhone firmware the baseband is also updated rendering it locked to the original carrier.
Check out existing Jailbreak + Unlock solutions on iPhone:
- Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G/3GS/4 online using Jailbreakme [iOS 4.0/4.0.1]
- How To Unlock iPhone 4 or 3G/3GS with Ultrasn0w [iOS 4.0/4.0.1]
Let me also warn you against iPhone unlock scams and frauds. There is no jailbreak software available for iOS 4.1 or 4.0.2 on iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS yet. The Jailbreakme solution works for all iOS devices on firmware iOS 4.0.1 and that is the only solution which will Jailbreak iPhone firmware and also provide Ultrasn0w unlock.
Quoting the iPhone dev-team:
This is a beta release of redsn0w for the iPhone3G and iPod Touch 2G at FW 4.1 or 4.0. It uses the same pwnage2 DFU-mode exploit that we’ve been using since the 2.x days. It does not include the SHAtter exploit developed by pod2g. Nothing new is revealed to Apple with this jailbreak.
IF YOU USE THE ULTRASN0W UNLOCK, PLEASE WAIT FOR PWNAGETOOL TO SUPPORT 4.1. DO NOT USE REDSN0W. That’s because to use redsn0w at 4.1, you need to already have updated to official 4.1 from Apple. If you do that, you lose the ultrasn0w unlock (possible forever).
This RedSn0w Jailbreak release supports:
- iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G only (for now)
- Mac OS X x86 only (for now)
- iOS 4.1 or 4.0 firmware from Apple
How to Use Redsn0w?
Download Redsn0w 0.9.6 from here.
You can check our guides on how to upgrade iPhone and iPod Touch to iOS 4.1 here:
- iOS 4.1 via iTunes
- Direct Download Links for iOS 4.1 ipsw
If you’ve already updated your device to iOS 4.1 or iOS 4.0, the next steps are:
- Launch the beta redsn0w 0.9.6b1 you downloaded
- Select your stock iOS 4.1 or iOS 4.0 ipsw (you’ve already used this to update your device to 4.1 or 4.0)
- Select “Install Cydia” and any of the other options shown above, then click “Next”. Use DFU mode to install the jailbreak.
If you run into any difficulties feel free to ask us. Have fun and enjoy your Jailbroken iPhone.