We have already told you about the semitethered jailbreak for iOS 5 that was recently released by BigBoss. Using this Cydia package, you can reboot your iOS device without having to be near your PC or connect to it. It’s useful, but it also has some bugs in it that won’t let you use certain apps and jailbreak tweaks.
However, it is still better than a tethered jailbreak. To perform a semitethered jailbreak, you’ll first need to tethered jailbreak you iOS 5 device, except iPad 2, using the latest version of Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze. Once you’ve jailbroken your device, follow the steps below to semitethered jailbreak it. Let me warn you though, this is a beta build and is under constant development, so there will be newer versions coming out soon that’ll work better and will let you use your device to the full extent.
- After tethered jailbreaking your iOS 5 device using Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze, open Cydia and head to Sources.
- In Sources, add the following repo: http://thebigboss.org/semitether.
- Wait for it download. After the source is added, install SemiTether.
- Now reboot your device. According to BigBoss, it is not advisable to use this semitether if you’ve not already tethered jailbroken your iOS device.
Here is a summary of what you can and cannot do when in semi-tethered reboot state. Remember, this is only when your device crashed and rebooted on the road and before you got back to your computer to “just boot”. It is better than being stuck in apple logo:
1) Can use phone, sms (text messages)
2) Can use every other stock app on iphone.
3) Cannot use mobile safari
4) Can use other appstore web browsers such as atomic web browser
5) Cannot use mail app. You could install a gmail app from appstore or such instead.
6) You cannot use any jailbreak tweak, app, cydia until you boot tethered.
7) While in the semitether booted state, you should not add a jailbreak ios5 notification such as sbsettings to notifications during this state or your device will be stuck in a respring loop until you get home to “boot tethered”.
Those are all the limitations I have found so far. There may be some others. I may provide a more technical write up on why these limitations exist, but for now it doesn’t really matter. They just do.
That’s it. And Saurik, the creator of Cydia, is working on fixing some issues and a new update to SemiTether will soon be out. You’ll just have to wait. Also, remember, developers are still working really hard on an untethered iOS 5 jailbreak.