If you like to travel a lot and don’t like being lost, then it’s always nice to have Google Maps installed on your Android device or a GPS device with exact co-ordinates. The former is simpler, so I’d suggest you to install Google Maps or any other mapping service that lets you use navigation for free. But, Google Maps still doesn’t support turn-by-turn navigation in many countries, which as it happens to be, is quite a big disappointment.
However, there is a workaround now, that will enable turn-by-turn navigation for any country, except places in other planets of course.
It’s known as the Google Maps ownhere mod, is developed by an XDA developer known as Brut.all, and can turn on the turn-by-turn navigation feature for Google Maps anywhere in the world. Here’s how you can get it running on your mobile device as well, if it’s an Android. This is for Google Maps 5.6.0, the latest version, new file will be available as Google updates.
Before getting started, you’ll need to download a good file manager, a backup app preferably Titanium Backup and the modded Google Maps 5.x ownhere-resign.apk.
- If you’re a Latitude user or plan on using it in the future, then open Google Maps on your phone and Join Latitude situated in Menu.
- Perform a full backup of Google Maps using Titanium Backup, also of Street View if you’ve installed this.
- Now using Titanium backup, uninstall Google Maps and Wipe all data. Same goes with Street View.
- Copy the downloaded .apk file on to your SD card and install using a File explorer.
- Reboot your phone, and start Titanium backup and restore only data from Google Maps. DATA ONLY.
- If you encounter a Login Failed error, then repeat the whole process all over again. Good luck.
Properly done, you should be able to use Navigation, turn-by-turn with Voice on your Google Maps. Now, start exploring and don’t get lost. Don’t forget to keep checking for new updates if and when Google updates Maps.
[ Xda Developers ]