We recently talked about the newly introduced cloud storage offered by Sony’s 3.6 firmware update to save game data online. This tutorial will show you how to store saved game data online in the cloud and even restore it on another PS3.
There’s absolutely no debate as to how useful this new service is to gamers. Agreed, we could do this manually too using flash drives but Sony just made it easier.
Before we show you how to save game data online, let me first reiterate the Online Storage features:
- Ability to upload Game Saves online to PSN servers
- Download it to any PS3 to access this data
- PSN account and PlayStation Plus subscription required as of now
- Maximum 1000 game save items or 150MB storage space allowed
Apart from these Sony has also included the ability to upload copy protected saved data. These cannot be backed up on flash drives. However, this data can be downloaded only once every 24 hours. Sound pretty fair, actually.
According, to Sony all PS3 games except Afrika support uploading game saves online.
How to Backup/Upload PS3 Saved Game Data Online:
To backup your game saves to PSN server, sign in to the PSN and then follow these steps:
- Select (Game) > (Saved Data Utility – PS3™).
- Select the data that you want to upload, and then press the (Triangle) button.
- Select [Copy].
- Select [Online Storage] as the save destination.
How to Restore/Download Saved Game Data to any PS3 console:
- Select (Game) > (Saved Data Utility – PS3™), and then select [Online Storage].
- Select the saved data you want to download and press the (Triangle) button.
- Select [Copy].
Needless to repeat, you need to update your PS3 to firmware version 3.60 to upload or download this game data on any PS3 system.